Arrival Time: 8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
The first bell rings at 8:40 a.m. and the tardy bell rings at 8:50 a.m. Supervision of students begins at 8:30 a.m. NO child should arrive at Westgate prior to 8:30 a.m. Students who arrive after 8:50 a.m. are considered tardy and must be accompanied into the office by a parent or guardian.
If students arrive between 8:30 – 8:40 a.m. they report to the gym (grades K-3) or cafeteria (grades 4-6). If your child arrives after 8:50 a.m., you must bring them to the office to sign in.
On the first day of school, parents are welcome to walk their child to the classroom. Starting on the second day, only students will be allowed to enter the school building in the morning (this is for the safety and security of all students – when we have too many parents, children without parents are overwhelmed and can get lost in the crowds). We will make sure your child gets to the right classroom.
Dismissal Time: 3:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Students are dismissed between 3:30 and 3:35 p.m. depending on how they go home in the afternoon. Bus riders and walkers exit through the front doors and car riders through Door 3 which leads to the west side parking lot and Kiss and Ride. Students meeting their parents to walk home meet at the main doors.
Arrival and Dismissal Safety Protocol
Keeping our students safe when they are arriving and dismissing from school is of utmost importance to us. We realize that Magarity Road is very busy during these times of the day. It is everyone's responsibility to ensure that we are following the rules around drop off and pick up of students. Please following these protocols while driving around our school campus.
- The Bus Loop is only for buses from 8:10-8:55 a.m. and 3:10-3:50 p.m. No vehicles other than school buses or emergency vehicles may park in the bus loop during these times.
- Virginia state law forbids the passing of a school bus that is loading or unloading children.
- There is no parent parking in school parking lots or on Magarity during arrival and dismissal. We encourage you to walk, stay in your car and drop your child off at Kiss and Ride, or have your child ride the school bus (if available).The side parking lot (right side when looking at school) is for staff parking only at arrival and dismissal, and not for student drop off. Cars may not be parked on the school side of Magarity during arrival or dismissal time. This impedes on our Kiss and Ride Line and the overall flow of traffic.
- If you are driving your child to school, please use Kiss and Ride. See below for more information.
- Students and families must use the crosswalks across Magarity and refrain from walking in the bus loop or walking between the parked buses as children are loading. Having students run across Magarity anywhere but at the cross walk with the crossing guard is not prohibited and extremely dangerous.
- Please mind the staff member who crosses students at the beginning of the Kiss and Ride line. They are there to keep our students and families safe, so please pay close attention to them while they are at this post.
- Please drive with extreme caution around Westgate and within nearby neighborhoods. There are some narrow streets with limited visibility that can cause a potential safety issue to our many walking students.
Kiss and Ride
Kiss and Ride is used when you are driving to Westgate and dropping off or picking up your child. The Kiss and Ride area is located in the back parking lot on the west side of the school. You drive up and drop off/pick up your child. Parents using Kiss and Ride are asked to use a Kiss and Ride tag with a number that is assigned to your child. Parents receive a Kiss and Ride tag at Open House or in the main office. Kiss and Ride tags do not need to be used in the morning. If you forget your tag in the afternoon, you can still use Kiss and Ride, just tell the staff member your number or who you are picking up.
- Do not arrive in Kiss and Ride line before 8:30 a.m. for arrival or before 3:25 p.m. for dismissal.
- Clearly display your Kiss and Ride tag number on the dashboard or visor.
- Drop off and pick up your child only in the Kiss and Ride traffic pattern.
- Pull your car forward as far as possible in the line.
- Make sure that your child exits/enters your car on the building side.
- If your child needs assistance carrying something please park to assist your child.
- For the sake of safety and flow of traffic, there is no left turn when leaving the Kiss and Ride line. There is limited visibility and we have almost had a number of accidents surrounding this issue.
Walking and Biking to School
Recognizing the health benefits, FCPS encourages parents to consider having their children walk and/or ride a bicycle to and from school using existing infrastructure. This parental decision is not subject to review by the Prncipal. The unique procedures for kindergarten students are addressed in the current version of Regulation 8617, Student Transportation – Eligibility, Routes, and Schedules.
Students and families must use the crosswalks across Magarity and refrain from walking in the bus loop or walking between the parked buses as children are loading. Having students run across Magarity anywhere but at the cross walk with the crossing guard is not prohibited and extremely dangerous.
Westgate students who live in a walking area are encouraged to walk to/from school. If your child walks to/from school, review a safe walking route with your child. Walking students must use designated paths, sidewalks, or the crosswalk where safety patrols are stationed.
Westgate students who are in a walking area are encouraged to ride their bikes to/from school. If you decide to allow your child to ride a bike, please review a safe bike route, ensure they wear a helmet, and know how to lock their bike on a bike rack. Our bike rack is located in the front of school. Westgate is not responsible for stolen bikes.
Bicyclists should follow these guidelines:
- Obey safety patrols, and automobile traffic rules, including signaling for turns and stopping at intersections.
- Bikes can be locked to the bike rack.
- Bicycle helmets are mandatory to ride to school!
FCPS provides bus transportation for students who reside more than a mile from the school. Bus riders should follow these guidelines:
- Refrain from crossing or playing on private property.
- Cooperate with the safety patrols and obey the bus drivers.
- Arrive at the bus stop five to ten minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.
- Remain seated and talk quietly after boarding the bus.
Procedures for safe transportation are discussed with all students at the beginning of the school year. It is also important that parents review with their children the information included on the form provided to all students who use school transportation. Parents’ reinforcement of the rules for safe loading and unloading of buses and of standards for behavior on buses and at bus stops is essential and will promote safety. Student failure to exhibit acceptable standards of conduct while riding a school bus can result in a suspension of bus transportation.
Kindergarten Parents: For your child’s safety, a parent, daycare provider, designated adult, or a sibling in 7th grade or higher is required to meet your child at the bus stop/bus door. If such person is not at the bus stop/bus door, the child will be returned to school.
Bus Delay Notification System
This system provides parents with timely notification of late bus route information. Parents may access the system at the link below or use the FCPS Mobile App to receive the delayed bus report. Morning route information will be available until noon. The afternoon route information will be available from 1-5 p.m.
Need assistance or have questions about FCPS transportation? Contact the Lavon Carter at LLCarter1@fcps.edu or at 703-249-7100 (in the FCPS transportation office for our school). For any concerns after hours, contact Safety and Security at 571-423-2000.